Mikrotik is an amazing company – smart people, good products and best performance per dollar spent. When it comes to small routers or access points they beat Cisco/Linksys/Netgear/Trend/others by far. All products are designed in Latvia (2M people below Scandinavia) and manufactured in volume in China.
- Winfy is much more efficient than Winbox; smaller footprint, comparable functionality
- Use of Skins allows customization per user. As an admin you can select the access for each user and what to display in the landing screen.
- You can create a task to create graphs (in SVG) and export them periodically
- Packet Sniffer can export files viewable by WireShark
- To reset the router and not load the default configuration, use the command “system reset-configuration no-default=yes”
- To avoid disk and memory errors, increase the timeout from Dude
- USB port can be used to connect with 3G modems – you can now implement MyFi’s!
Janis, one of Mikrotik’s support engineers, explained traffic management techniques. Unbelievable flexibility – it’s all about what packets to throw away when the pipes cannot take the traffic. Extensive discussions on ECMP, load balancing with masquerade, mangle, PCC, routing tables, MLPPP and MPLS.
- The RB750 includes power controlled PoE ports. It can monitor the voltage and current of each Ethernet port!
- The new RB1100AHx2 sports dual processors with a hardware encryption engine.
- The RB2011 is a 5xGiGe and 5xFast Ethernet ports – rack mount version will be 50% of the RB1100 (but less routing capacity)
- You can include in the scripts assignments of MAC using the attribute: “user=[/interface either get either1 mac-address]”
- It is possible to create a fully redundant link using two APs and two STA sharing the same frequency. The Mikrotik can be programmed to ping each radio and select which transmitter and receiver to activate.
- Using the HotSpot feature, you can store complete web pages into the router and use them to authenticate users. In fact, you can run PHP server side into RouterOS
- The OS includes an optional package for complete user management ala Radius Server
- Baltic Systems demonstrated how to send and receive SMS messages using the router with a USB dongle with a 3G/4G connection.
More details can be found in this file.